Saturday, May 12, 2007

The Forever Stamp


The USPS has raised its rates again for the 13th time in 32 years. The new rate for a first-class stamp is $0.41, up $0.02 from the $0.39 we currently pay. The new rates take effect on Monday, May 14th (better get yourself to the post office).
Good news! The United States Postal Service has come up with a great idea for any disgruntled customers out there who are tired of buying the $0.01 and $0.02 stamps to make up for their under priced stamps. Introducing...the forever stamp. Buy it for $0.41 now and use it any time in the future no matter what future rate hikes we might endure. Thanks USPS...good idea. No more throwing money away by doubling up on the $0.37 stamps or spending frustrating minutes trying to figure out where I put the $0.02 stamps from the last rate increase. FOREVER stamps here I come!

5 comments:

Dri said...

On my lunch hour I ran "quickly" to the post office to get some stamps. It took me at least 20 minutes once I got in there, not counting the time it took to actually find a parking space.

Somehow I forgot that today was the day everything switched over so EVERYONE and their brother in F-town would be at the post office.

I'm sure there were many other innocent "run to the post office over my lunch hour" victims.

Now I have the new post card stamps and more 2 cent stamps to go with the 39 cent stamps I have at home.

I will DEFINITELY be purchasing Forever Stamps as well.

Anonymous said...

1. Rather than trying to buy the exact amount of $.01 or $.02 stamps to match the "old" ones, simply walk into the post office and trade the old ones in. Yes, it is that simple. OR...if you feel like pissing people off (I often feel that way) take your old stamps to McDonald's or Wendy's and pay for your #2 combo with the old stamps. It's true, they are legal tender and your drive up window attendent HAS to take them.

Three dollar bills, three quarters, a dime, and a nickel are EXACTLY the same as 10 $0.39 stamps.

2. Dri, www.usps.com Order stamps there, they show up in the mail two days later. Requires planning, but eliminates the headache.

Anonymous said...

Good ideas, B-rent. Both the "piss people off" idea of paying for my next Big Mac with stamps and the www.usps.com idea. I do need to plan ahead and buy stamps online for sure. How conveeeeenient.

Anonymous said...

Don't buy the 41-cent forever stamp! You're just tieing up your money forever! The 41-cent stamp costs NO more than a 3-cent stamp did when I was a little guy because of the devaluation of the dollar.

Old Dad

Anonymous said...

I agree with "Old Dad." I tthink the "Forever" stamp is just a gimmick...there is no guarantee that it will be good forever anyway. There is an open end on the plan and the postal service can (I think WILL) change the policy on the forever stamp whenever they want.