Monday, June 18, 2007

Camping


T. and I went camping this weekend with Cuz M and B-rent. Trophy Life joined us on Saturday.
Here are a couple of thoughts.

1) Cuz M and B-rent are amazing with cooking food at a campsite. We enjoyed french toast, pork tenderloin stuffed with garlic and rosemary accompanied with veggies and potatoes, sausage gravy and biscuits, and some other fare. I have informed them that for better or worse they are going to have to be present for all of my camping experiences.

2) There are many different kinds of people at a state park and every one is packed in close. Especially when a family of 16 shows up Sunday at the site next to us. Can't say I was sorry we were leaving just as they were arriving.

3) T and I have the coolest tent ever. It is equipped with a bay window. This is only our second time camping together and our first time in our new tent. I could sit in it for hours.

4) Cornhole will also be accompanying us on all our future camping trips.

5) My next camping purchase would be a cool flashlight. And then possibly sleeping bags because making the air mattress was not fun.

6) I am OK with not being totally clean.

7) Visit the bathrooms after 8 am and before 11 pm. The mosquito population seems to quadruple in the restrooms during the night hours.

8) I was disappointed that Randy and Rodney, our pet raccoons that B-rent mistook for dogs, did not show up for Trophy Life. She did have a cool rescue whistle that she found at Target for a dollar.

9) T is a pyro...in a non-scary way.

Any fun camping stories that you care to share?

4 comments:

Malissa said...

I'm NOT okay with not being totally clean.
I am still basking in the glow of some of my best Cornhole tosses to date.
Randy and Rodney were lucky that they did NOT show their beedy (sp?) little eyes in my presence. i would have thrown that sturdy flaslight at their heads.
it was cute, though, how they left their pawprints on T's chair!

Anonymous said...

When I was in Boy Scouts, we were sleeping in a wood cabin leanto (sp?) with a big wooden door (hinged at the top) that came down and "closed" the hut to the outdoors. About 1:00 am, we heard a racket and pushed open the door just a crack. We looked out and saw a black bear "running" up a tree. It kind of gave us a new perspective about staying away from bears.

Da

Malissa said...

i too was subjected to sleeping in a leanto, once a week, when i was a camp counselor. although, we had to hike out to it, and make our own fire to cook meals for hungry children, and there was NO DOOR to protect us from the outside elements; just a 3-sided rickety old thing. i used to PRAY for thunderstorms so i didn't have to go to the leanto (never worked)
hey - what doesn't kill you makes you strong, right?

Anonymous said...

I will let you know about my camping experience later as J. and I are camping for the very first time this weekend. 2 nights and nothing but wilderness, oh and flushable bathrooms and coin showers. But any way.
Cornhole????????