Tuesday, August 18, 2009

The joys of home maintenence

There are some days I wonder if T and I had any business buying a house. Our knowledge about home maintenance is limited. The majority of the time we hire out jobs that need attention or we just turn a blind eye. For instance, two years ago T, with my consent, ripped the closet doors off our guest bedroom closet - I can't even remember why at this point, it's been so long. To this day the closet remains doorless and you can see all of my off-season clothes hanging in it as you reach the top of our second story. Classy.

But today I did it. I tackled a project on my own. The guest bathroom drain was plugged. In the past, if my homemade "Draino" (a combination of baking soda, vinegar, and boiling water) didn't do the trick, I called our faithful plumbers. God bless Scott, the plumber, who showed me how to unclog the drain by myself last year. The man did not crack a smile or even show traces of a pleasant personality during his time in my home, but he taught me a life-long skill. And this year, as I plunged and fished out the gunk from our drain, I silently thanked him for the $80 he saved me today. Joyously, victoriously, I enjoyed the lack of water pooling at the base of our tub. Sweet success.

6 comments:

Malissa said...

YAY! you are back!! i've missed you; i'll add you to my links NOW.

also, i'm sure you felt like SuperWoman today after a job well done. i'm positive that you WOULD surely kiss Scott on the cheek if you saw him in the bread aisle of Giant Eagle.

Anonymous said...

Glad to have you "back" baby. I like your writings. Keep them coming. Of course, your Uncle Bruce and I have a drain cleaning story too, but that involves Red Devil and then a complete pipe replacement.

Love you. Dad

BM and L Properties said...

As usual, I am here for you guys too! That's pretty much how I have been making a living is doing odd things for people. Call me if you ever need anything...I won't charge you $80 for a trip out :-)

Dri said...

I am happy you are back!! I missed your posts and hearing about life.

Anonymous said...

Whoohoo! Gaining one home maintenance skill at a time is great success.

I'm excited you're blogging again friend! :)
-S

Amy said...

WAY TO GO, Anna! :) I know there are a lot of things I depend on Paul to handle that there's no reason I couldn't learn to do myself. I need to do better at that to set a good, strong example for Greta.