Wednesday, March 31, 2010

Tricks of the Trade

For years I have been watching my mother in awe as she cuts fruit with a pairing knife and no cutting board.  Rather than using the cutting board she sticks out her thumb to stop the blade.  It always looks dangerous but after using all four of my cutting boards in one day, I decided to give it a go.  (Apparently cleaning one was just not an option for me.)
So, for the last three mornings I have been cutting my strawberries sans board - putting my thumb in the line of fire.  It's been a slow process, but I'm determined to learn this trick.  I have decided, though, that as soon as I slice my thumb, it's over - I'll be back to my cutting boards. 

1 comment:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

I felt like an adult once I could do this. :) So funny what we pick up from our Moms.