Thursday, April 12, 2007

Stoplight



Call me boring, but I love routine. And I am not the best with adjusting to change in my schedule.

For the past 7 months, I could predict which stoplights I would have to stop and at which stoplights I could pass on through without braking on my way to work. It never changed.

Until last week. Early one morning on my way to work, I started slowing down at my first predictable stop, but I was thrown off. The light never changed, I went through, and I was left befuddled. I am sure the driver behind me must have been honking and furious as I slowed down from 50 mph to 15 mph in the face of a green light. But I didn't hear them. My world was thrown off. And it happened again two days later. My morning routine has been altered. No need to worry, though. I will preserver and find new patterns that I can rely on. It's my nature.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love you, A. I love that you love routines. I love that you love order. I love that until a few weeks ago you knew the patterns of traffic lights on your way to work. Whoa.

Amy said...

I know JUST what you mean. It sounds like my least favorite thing: "adjusting my cognitions." For example... the girls at work planned another Dutch Blitz Night... or so I thought! Turns out they had been specifically referred to it as "Game Night" (I did not catch on to the subtle difference) and lo and behold, after several rounds of Dutch Blitz, someone suggested we switch to "Imaginiff..." and everyone (but me) cheerfully agreed. FIE!!! That turns out to be a stressful game where you could easily wind up disliking nearly everyone around the table. Also... speaking of routines, I would note that I did miss the Saturday Circle Game. Apparently, it has become something that I LIKE in my routine! Who'da thunk it?

Ryan said...

yeah...definately...traffic lights

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

I love you, too A. This post cracked me up.

#1 - Please be careful driving.

#2 - Plese do not blow through any lights that are not adhering to the routine.

Easy does it. :-)