Friday, February 12, 2010

When is it time to say goodbye?

My relationship with my hair stylist began about 6 years ago.  She's good, her salon is close to my house, and I will forever thank her for talking me into short hair.  It was a big step for me, and for about 5 years I have enjoyed many variations of my short bob. 

But here's the problem:  I'm growing tired of it.  I want something new.  But alas, beloved hair stylist apparently wants nothing to do with putting me in shoulder/mid-length hair.  Despite expressing my desire that I would like to grow my hair out, our session ended yesterday with her taking a razor to the back of my neck and telling me that I'm a "short-hair gal".  Perhaps I am. But I'm itching for a change, and after 9 months of almost getting through the ugly transition period only to have her chop the whole thing off (this has happened at least twice), I'm beginning to doubt that I will ever get my shoulder length hair back. 

So my dilemma:  Do I throw caution to the wind, say a pleasant goodbye, and find someone else who may or may not be as good?  Or do I put my faith in my trusty hairstylist to know what looks best for my face and hair type and possibly live with the short bob for another 10 years?  Comments?

5 comments:

Megan Brown said...

You take a risk and find someone new!

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

OMG. She cut your hair even though you said you wanted to grow it out!?!?

Dear, dear friend - that is your decision to make, not hers.

My hair stylist (who I have been with longer than I've been with Craig), has gone through EVERY hair cut with me: 1-inch spiky blonde, to my current overly-long dark. Along the way we've experienced tremendously frightening cuts... all specifically requested by me.

That said: her job is to do what you say and make you look presentable.

I say it's time to cut your losses (pun intended) and find a new stylist. You can always go back to her if you miss her.

But really? Life's too short to not have the hair you want.

(You knew this post would strike a chord with me...)

Malissa said...

i'm vote number 3 for move on.

i have an idea. let your hair grow out for your maternity leave and see what happens. talk to some friends from work or dinner club or whatever. or maybe see if your aunt could simply TRIM the hair as it grows.

goodbye to the Non Listening Stylist!

Written Permission said...

Oh, yes -- I would run for the hills toward someone who listened to me!

I've heard other people say this before. "I wanted to dye my hair blond, but my stylist refused to let me."

Um, I'm sorry, did I miss the part where you were PAYING him/her to do what you asked them to?

I get that some stylists feel passionate about their artistic integrity. And if they were styling a wig that they would then shop to you, and you could decide after seeing it whether you wanted to buy it or not, they might have a leg to stand on. But that's not how it works, and she doesn't. She isn't the boss of you.

I would kick Bossypants to the curb. There are lots of great stylists out there who know how to take direction and still do great things with your hair.

www.thecrazydaisies.wordpress.com said...

I agree, I feel devotion to my hair stylist... but she'll offer me her opinion (that I look better w/ shorter hair) but she'll do whatever I ask and tell me that will look fine too. If she did not do these things, I'd be saying "see you later". Because sometimes you just need a change.... even if later you realize that change wasn't the best decision.... then you change again. :)