Friday, May 14, 2010

I Guess I'm One of Those Women

I hyphenated my name when I got married several years ago.  The decision got an eyebrow raise from my HR director at work.  "Oh, you're one of THOSE women," was his comment.  "Yep, I guess I am," was my response. 

Then yesterday my mother-in-law and I planned to run an errand and go out to eat - something I have not been able to do as frequently as I used to since the birth of Baby G.  I was really looking forward to some time out of the house, and I believe that it is important for G-Man to get use to being out and about as well.

As it turns out our errand lasted much, much longer than anticipated because of a very kind, very talkative woman, and of course, by the time we were ready to go to lunch it was feeding time for the babe.  I had to make a decision.  Should we turn around and abort our lunch plans so I could nurse the little guy at home, or should I bite the bullet and feed him in public?

I decided to live up to the reputation that, apparently, in the eyes of my HR director, a hyphenated name affords.  I feed the little guy in public...in a restaurant (gasp)! 

I felt liberated.  My mother-in-law and I had a very nice lunch, and so did Baby G.  If people were offended by the fact that I fed my baby while managing to show LESS skin than seen plastered over all media outlets...well, I didn't care.  I was just glad to have a break from my house. 

5 comments:

Ky • twopretzels.com said...

YAY!!!
WAY TO GO! Good for you. :) Awesome.

And I for one, am VERY glad that you're, "one of those women." :)

(I still wish I could have hyphenated my last name with Craig. But really? That would be terrible to do to a child.)

Another funny story: When Craig and I moved her, and my niece was only about 5 or 6, she asked Craig when he was going to change his last name to P. She was serious. As in, "What's taking you so long?"

Malissa said...

very proud of you!! glad you could enjoy your time out. i know this is a milestone...

Dri said...

YAYAYAY!!!! I remember those milestones like they were yesterday. I'm so glad you accomplished that and you felt some freedom.

YAY for lunches out!

Jamie said...

...amen.

I'll take it one step further- not only did I not take my husband's name, I didn't hyphenate and just kept my maiden name.

Suck on THAT, societal pressures!

Jill said...

You go girl!