Thursday, September 2, 2010

Who knew produce could be this much fun?

June 2010 - Freshly shelled peas

My joy this summer - besides my baby boy - was our CSA (community supported agriculture) program.  Check out the website here, if you are interested. 

Fresh produce delivered to our door every Wednesday for 14 weeks - we were in organic veggie heaven! I experimented (mainly with olive olive and a roasting pan in hand) with kohlrabi, beets, and sweet potatoes to name a few, and we enjoyed the normal summer classics like zucchini, green beans, tomatoes, corn, white and red potatoes, etc - the list goes on and on.

There were a few pitfalls of the experience.  1) Sadly, vegetables do not wash themselves. There were several hours of work involved through out the summer cleaning, prepping, and cooking.  2) I was not creative enough to figure out how to make okra less slimy or find a dish that would inspire love for eggplant.  (Please feel free to make suggestions if you have any.)

That said, however, I will join the CSA again next summer in a heartbeat. Every Wednesday I was like a kid in a candy store (except I was dealing with veggies) opening my cooler to see what loot I had acquired.  I can't wait to do it again next year. 

2 comments:

Malissa said...

glad you were able to participate in this wonderful endeavor! ; )

Unknown said...

This sounds wonderful! Good for you!

I just baked my first stripetti squash. I had never heard of it. Spaghetti squash with a sweet pot. flavor.

It's amazing what's out there that you never really knew about, huh?